See the extremly endangerous Saimaa ringed seal Pusa hispida saimensis. Did you know that there are more Giant Pandas and Indian tigres than Saimaa ringed seals? There are strong will of saving this rare animal, that is why we are making trips to watch them.
80% garantee of sucessfully seal spotting!
Ecological aspect of this trip: All the guides and other participants are local people. Using these services You support the local employment and help peolple to survive of living in this rural area. We have to take care of not disturbing the birds or other animals. This trip is planned together with local authorities who are taking care of protecting this extremely endangedred animal.
About the seal:
- they live alone, they are hermits
- population is slivered different parts of the Lake Saimaa area
- Linnansaari National Park is only place where you can get guided trips to spot these fantastic animals
- seals are not shy, more like curious, and they come to see the boat if there are any seal near by
- these seals spend most of they life under water, they even sleep under water!
- in winter, when all lakeas are covered with thick ice, they spend most of the time under water and they are not been seen
Available hole summer but best seasons are:
Spring: May - June
Autumn: August - September
This trip is made by motor boat. Funny thing is, that the seals are not afraid a motor boat. It is same thing when spotting animals or birds from a car.
Ask more here!
Short story in Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sanomat
Trip repot 2011
Look the pictures from the trips 2012
Trip report 2012
A Saimaa seal is peeking
A seal spotted laying on the rocks in the evening at August.
Notice that its fur is wet and the marks, the rings, are very visible.
A rare picture: seal spotted on the ice at April